Photos app not working in Windows 11? Here’s how to fix it
Are you having a problem with the Photos app in Windows 10? This troubleshooting guide will tell you what to do if your photos aren’t appearing.
The “windows 11 photo viewer” is a tool that can be used to view photos on Windows. The app is not working properly, and this article will teach you how to fix it.
authored by Matthew Adams
Expert in Windows and Software
Matthew is a freelance writer who has written a number of articles on different technology-related themes. His major interest is the Windows operating system and all that surrounds it. He is enthralled by… Read more
- When the Photos app in Windows 11 stops operating, it might be because it is corrupted or because there are other system-related issues.
- If Photos won’t launch on Windows 11, try resetting the app.
- Microsoft Photos not functioning problems may occasionally be resolved by doing deployment image and file scans.
- A troubleshooter for Photos and other applications is also included in Windows 11.
BY CLICKING ON THE DOWNLOAD FILE, YOU CAN INSTALL XINSTALL.
We propose Restoro PC Repair Tool to address a variety of PC issues: This program will fix common computer faults, protect you against file loss, viruses, and hardware failure, and optimize your PC to run at its best. In three simple actions, you can immediately fix PC problems and eradicate viruses:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool, which includes patent-pending technologies (patent available here).
- To detect Windows faults that may be causing PC difficulties, click Start Scan.
- To correct problems that are hurting your computer’s security and performance, click Repair All.
- This month, 0 readers have downloaded Restoro.
Photos is the primary picture viewer in Windows 11, and it comes pre-installed with the operating system. As a result, many people use this app to access and examine their favorite photos. In Windows 11, that app is larger and better than ever before.
However, several users have reported that Photos in Windows 11 does not function for them. This is unsurprising, given that comparable issues with the Photos app also exist in Windows 10.
When such people attempt to activate the software, it crashes. Alternatively, for certain users, the app may launch but show the error message We can’t open this file in Photos.
In any case, people won’t be able to access or see photographs using Photos if it isn’t functioning. Do you need assistance with Photos on Windows 11? If that’s the case, have a look at the possible remedies for Photos not functioning listed below.
Has the Photos app in Windows 11 changed?
Microsoft has made a few changes to the Photos app in Windows 11. The design of that app has been updated to include rounded edges. It also includes some intriguing Mica content as well as a new typeface design.
A new editing toolbar is also included in the updated Photos app. When you click on a picture, the toolbar displays. When you click an open picture, a photo filmstrip appears, allowing you to browse photographs inside the program.
Another fantastic Photos feature is multi-view. By choosing numerous photos on the filmstrip, viewers may watch many images at the same time. The chosen photographs will then be shown side by side in the app, which is useful for comparing snapshots.
Photos in Windows 11 is much better with those additional capabilities. If you need to repair an app that isn’t functioning with Windows 11, follow these steps.
What can I do if Photos in Windows 11 isn’t working?
1. Install the Windows 11 update
- To launch the Settings app from the menu, click the Start button and then Settings.
- On the left side of Settings, click Windows Update.
- On that tab, click the Check for Updates option.
- Download and install any Windows 11 patch updates that are available.
You may also be able to update Photos through the Microsoft Store app by going to the Library page. Then tap the Get Updates button to update the applications that have been listed there.
2. Run the troubleshooter for the applications.
- Choose Settings by pressing the Win + X keys.
- On the System tab, choose the Troubleshoot option.
- Then choose Other troubleshooters from the drop-down menu.
- Then, for the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter, select Run.
3. Examine the default programs for picture file types.
- Open the Settings menu from the Start menu.
- Select the Apps tab from the drop-down menu.
- Then, on that menu, choose Default applications.
- Select the Photos app from the list.
- Then, inside Photos, seek for the image file type you’re attempting to open. If Photos isn’t the default app for it, pick it by clicking the format and then selecting the app.
4. Clear the Photos
- On your taskbar, click the magnifying glass symbol for the search function.
- To search, type in the keywords applications and features.
- To access the Settings tab, go to Apps & Features.
- After that, pick Advanced settings from the three-dot button for Microsoft Photos.
- Reset the computer by pressing the Reset button.
- To be sure, click Reset one again.
- If rebooting the app doesn’t solve the problem, try hitting the Repair button.
5. Scan the deployment image and the system files
- Simultaneously press the Windows + S keys.
- Then, in the Command Prompt, enter cmd in the search box and choose the Run as administrator option.
- After that, type the following command and click Enter: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- sfc /scannow sfc /scannow sfc /scannow sfc /scannow sfc /scannow
- Then wait for the SFC scan to reach 100% and a result to appear.
6. Install Photos Again
- Type Windows Powershell into the Search box on the taskbar.
- Right-click Powershell and choose Run as administrator from the context menu.
- To remove Photos, execute the following command and hit Enter: remove-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos*
- Then, on your Start menu, pick the pinned Microsoft Store app.
- In the MS Store search box, type Microsoft Photos.
- Open the Microsoft Photos page by selecting it.
- To reinstall the app, go to the App Store and choose Get.
What are the greatest alternatives to the Photos app?
To open photographs in Windows 11, you don’t need the Photos program. For Windows, there are a plethora of third-party picture reader software options.
That instruction may be better tailored to Windows 10. The majority of Windows 10 software, on the other hand, is compatible with Windows 11. As a result, many of the image viewers in our list will most likely operate on the most recent desktop platform.
In any case, freeware programs like Faststone Image Viewer, IrfanView, and IrfanView are available. As a result, you won’t need to buy such programs to use them with Windows 11. Install the free trial versions of the non-freeware image viewers listed in our guide to see whether they operate with Windows 11.
Nonetheless, the new Photos program in Windows 11 is worth addressing. For the most part, the techniques listed above will fix Photos not opening in Windows 11 for the majority of customers.
Apart from the remedies listed above, reverting Windows 11 to a previous date via System Restore or resetting the platform may potentially resolve the issue. Those, on the other hand, are more serious measures that include the removal of software programs. First, try all of the above-mentioned solutions.
With the comments box, you may discuss the Photos app not functioning in Windows 11. Have you discovered an other method to get the app to work with Windows 11? If this is the case, please provide a different resolution in the comments section below.
Was this page of assistance to you?
Thank you very much!
There are insufficient details It’s difficult to comprehend Other Speak with a Professional
Start a discussion.
Watch This Video-
The “reinstall photos app windows 10” is a solution that has been used to fix the problem. The user can reinstall their Photos app and it will work again.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix Photos app not working?
A: Please restart your device.
How do I repair windows photo app?
A: To repair photo apps, open up the File Explorer on your computer. Select this folder in the left-hand pane and then go into WindowsSystem32. The file called winmgmt is needed to run many of these functions for windows 10 which exists simply as a shortcut in this directory.
How do you reset Microsoft photo app?
A: You should go to Settings and select Reset Photo App.
- microsoft photos not showing all photos
- windows 10 photo app not installed
- why do my photos take so long to load on windows 10
- microsoft photos not working after update
- repair microsoft photos