Facetime, Apple’s video calling client is the flagship application for their iOS devices. Its sleek design and high-quality video make it an attractive option to those who require such features. Unfortunately, due to its position as a default iOS program (it comes preinstalled on all iPhones), it cannot be uninstalled by any traditional means; one must go through some workarounds to remove it.
Although Apple’s Facetime uses the front-facing camera, this tutorial focuses on disabling or muting its sound via a simple hotkey. Because of this, you can use your device for anything else without fear of someone eavesdropping on your conversation. If you’re not interested in disabling the entire program, you can also mute the microphone.
Why is my Facetime Speaker Loud?
The speaker is loud for two reasons: it increases the quality of the video, and its microphone is calibrated to pick up sound. Because you want to silence the speaker, the latter is irrelevant.
How to Turn Facetime Volume Down
The iPhone’s Facetime program is ideal for video calls, but not so much for audio; it features an extremely high volume. Fortunately, there exists a simple way to quiet it down.
To begin with, locate the “Favorites” button on your home screen (it looks like a heart). After finding this button, follow these simple steps:
1) Press and hold the “Favorites” button.
2) When its menu pops up, press on the “+” symbol (located in the top right corner of your screen).
3) Select your contact to call.
4) When you’re connected with your friend, tap the “Favorites” button again to bring up the menu.
5) This time, press on “Add to Favorites” at the bottom of the screen.
6) After you’ve finished adding your friend’s contact to your favorites list, press on it, and then scroll down until you see a gear icon labeled “Facetime.”
7) Tap on the “Facetime” option, and then turn off the switch labeled “Microphone.”
If you wish to revert these changes, follow the same instructions—but instead of turning off your microphone, leave it on.
How to Turn Facetime Volume Up
While muting is useful in most cases (and recommended for privacy purposes), sometimes you might want to turn your facetime volume back up. This can be useful if you’re making a video call with someone far away, or if they are in noisy surroundings.
To do this, follow these simple steps:
1) Go to the “Favorites” button on your home screen (it looks like a heart).
2) Toggle the switch labeled “Microphone” back to its on position.
How to Disable Facetime Entirely
While many of us might want a simple way to silence our iPhone’s facetime, some others may desire a more permanent solution due to privacy or performance concerns. Fortunately, Apple has given iPhone users the option of removing facetime entirely—although this is not a traditional uninstallation.
To do this, simply follow these steps:
1) Open the “Settings” tab on your home screen (it looks like an icon depicting a set of gears).
2) On the next screen, choose “General.”
3) Find the option labeled “Facetime,” and then tap it.
4) On the following screen, toggle the switch labeled “Video Calls Enabled” to the off position.
5) Finally, press on “Delete Account” in order to remove your facetime profile from your iPhone. Doing this will return Facetime to its factory settings—minus all of your contacts! For more information on how to restore Facetime, please refer to Apple’s official website .
How To Turn Off or Mute Facetime Notifications
There are two types of facetime notifications: screen alerts and sounds. Although the iPhone’s “silent mode” conveniently mutes both types of notifications, sometimes you might want to turn the sound off without muting your entire iPhone.
To do this, simply follow these steps:
1) Go to the home screen and locate your “Settings” tab (it looks like 3 gears).
2) Tap on “Notifications.”
3) Select Facetime.
4) Next, tap the button labeled “Sounds and Haptics” to turn it off.
5) Finally, press on your facetime notification and select “None” under the Sounds and Haptics menu.
You’ve now learned how to turn off or mute facetime notifications, as well as how to lower the volume on both your speaker and microphone.Note, however, that you must press the “+” button in order to add your contacts to favorites. If you fail to do this step correctly, these changes will not be applied.For more information on how to restore facetime or revert your settings, please refer to Apple’s official website .